Saturday, November 3, 2007

Displaying multiple queries on a single sheet with POIUtility.cfc

I recently saw an interesting question on the adobe forums about POI and the POIUtility. The POIUtility is a wrapper CFC that can be used to read and write Excel files. Using the built in functions it allows you to display one query per worksheet. The poster asked if it was possible to use the POIUtility to display more than one query on a single worksheet.

I posted an example of how you might modify the POIUtility.cfc to do just that. The queries on each sheet can be displayed either horizontally or vertically. The example is barely tested, but hopefully someone out there might find it useful.

You can download POI from apache.org and the POIUtility.cfc from Ben Nadel's site.

And now a comment from left field ..


Ben Nadel is a talented guy, with some very interesting ideas and projects involving ColdFusion. A lot of good work went into the POIUtility and many programmers have found it extremely useful. But since I am posting a link on my site I have to say that personally I find many of his examples superfluous. Its like being trapped in the mind of an adolescent boy with some bizarre obsession or weird form of OCD or GTS. I will not even visit some areas of his site. But if you can get past all that, there are some interesting articles to be found.. some of which are actually about ColdFusion.

Now I fully expect some of you to disagree with me, but to each his own ;-)

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Header image adapted from atomicjeep